Thursday, August 28, 2008

Preseason hype finally ends tonight

College football commences tonight, not a moment too soon. I'll be at NC State - South Carolina in person, but there's other noteworthy stuff for you to check out tonight. Some quick thoughts on today's games...

NC State at South Carolina - Gamecocks should win this comfortably. It's amazing how banged up the Wolfpack are, and they weren't that good to begin with. Keep an eye on Tommy Beecher's debut at starting quarterback for SC. If it turns out he can actually play the position the way Spurrier needs his QBs to, they become a much more interesting team this year because their defense should be pretty good.

Vandy at Miami Ohio - SEC teams should not be playing MAC teams on the road. Chris Nickson is the Commodores QB, and he'll probably be running for his life behind a brand new line. Miami's D is pretty good for its level. I'll be curious to watch the tape on this one when I get home.

Charleston Southern at Miami - The Canes should be ashamed to be playing a game like this. I doubt they draw a legit 25 thousand to the game because of it being such a mismatch. I wish I could see it for myself, but it'll only be shown on the web. It gives us the first look at the Canes QB Jacory Harris, even though we supposedly will see Robert Marve next week as starter at the Swamp.

Wake Forest at Baylor - Jim Grobe's a terrific coach, and he'll have Wake ready to go. I think Art Briles is a good coach as well, but taking over Baylor is a thankless job. It'll take them a little time to find guys who can try to run Briles scheme, which is why this should be a Wake romp.

I'll try to put more up later if I have time, but it's gameday in Columbia today so I may have to wait until Friday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The wait is finally over. Now there will finally be some interesting sports programming to drown out the monotonous slew of MLB games.

Heath, do you think the ESPN deal will help the SEC in the national title hunt? We all know ESPN has a tendency to drool over teams and games that are part of the network. I think this exposure has the potential to be really huge for the conference. It will be interesting to see if the increased visibility will have a big impact on voters. I really think that in the future this could help, say, a one loss SEC Champion take a place in the title game over an undefeated Big 12 or Big East team. Definitely something to look forward to. The conference and its fans definitely deserved better than what Raycom had to offer.